Notice of Motion: Footpath Cycling
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet considered a report of Executive Director (Neighbourhoods and Environment) which had been prepared in response to the Notice of Motion, presented to the last meeting of Council, concerning cycling on footways.
1. That the introduction of a legal process at Southend Council which allows Community Safety Officers or other Council Officers designated with CSAS accreditation status (Community Safety Accreditation Scheme) to issue Fixed Penalty Notices to individuals caught cycling on the footway or in No Cycling zones across the whole Borough (including Southend High Street and Southend seafront from Old Leigh to East Beach), be approved.
2. That cycling on footpaths not be included as an addition to the current PSPO prohibitions.
3. That the Notice of Motion be acknowledged and further consultation be undertaken with stakeholders and local communities before making the final decision.
4. That the new guidance/laws that are due from Government regarding the legal use of electric scooters and return to use of electric scooters on footpaths at a later date, be monitored.
Reasons for Recommendations
The Notice asks that the prohibition of cycling on footpaths be included in the current PSPO (public space protection order). This was not included as a recommendation, as the consultation required to effect such, (compulsory under the PSPO legislation which would include both public and stakeholder), takes a considerable time (even if a locality is adding another prohibition to a current Order). Furthermore, the PSPO can only be area specific. For example, Chalkwell Esplanade, where a lot of footpath cycling takes place, is not covered within the PSPO footprint, nor is the Cinder Path. Therefore, the quicker route to achieve this would be via CSAS accredited officers (which the CSO’s are) and establishing an internal legal process, rather than adding to the current PSPO prohibitions.
Note: This is an Executive Function
Eligible for call-in to: Policy and Resources Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Terry
Publication date: 31/07/2020
Date of decision: 28/07/2020
Decided at meeting: 28/07/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 08/08/2020
This decision has been called in by:
- Councillor Tony Cox who writes for consideration by the Policy & Resources Scrutiny Committee"
- Councillor Meg Davidson who writes for consideration by the Policy & Resources Scrutiny Committee"