Updated Council Tree Policy
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet considered a report of the Executive Director (Neighbourhoods and Environment) presenting the revised tree policy together with the results of the associated public consultation.
1. That the Tree Policy set out at Appendix 1 to the submitted report, be adopted.
2. That the development of a planting strategy that will consider the availability of land, its usage, and tree planting opportunities, be approved.
3. That it be noted that the adoption of the Tree Policy will require ongoing funding to manage the Council's tree stock, which will need to be considered as part of future budget setting.
Reason for Decision:
To help maintain the safety of our citizens and visitors and to support the increase in the Borough's canopy cover. Also, to support the 2050 vision which includes several outcomes in which trees play a part and the management of trees contributes to the response to the climate change emergency.
1. Continue managing council trees as per the interim management statement and not adopt a new Tree Policy.
2. Stop managing the Council's tree stock and accept that the trees will decline and the risk to citizens and visitors will increase, resulting in a rise in claims against the Council.
Note: This is an Executive Function
Eligible for call-in to: Place Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Mulroney
Report author: Paul Jenkinson
Publication date: 15/01/2021
Date of decision: 14/01/2021
Decided at meeting: 14/01/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 23/01/2021
This decision has been called in by:
- Councillor Tony Cox who writes for consideration by Place Scrutiny Committee"
- Councillor Meg Davidson who writes for consideration by Place Scrutiny Committee"