Modern Methods of Construction Foundation 200 Project
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
The Cabinet considered a report of the Deputy Chief Executive and Executive Director (Growth and Housing) presenting the Modern Methods of Construction (MMC) Foundation 200 and sought approval to progress the redevelopment of the Juniper Road garage site.
1. That the MMC Foundation 200 Project be progressed, which will see a maximum of 8 single unit homes developed on the Juniper Road garage site for this purpose.
2. That authority be delegated to the Director of Property and Commercial for the formal approval of the land transaction for the Juniper Road garage site.
Reasons for decision:
To meet the Council’s ambition for increasing the supply of affordable housing in the Borough.
1. Do nothing - This option considered leaving the existing garage areas in their current underused state. This option would not increase community safety and reduce antisocial behaviour and its associated costs. It also would not contribute to the Council’s priority of increasing the supply of affordable housing in the borough nor meet the Council’s Southend 2050 ambitions.
2. Sell the land on the open market – This option considered selling the land on the market in order for it to be privately developed. This option was not considered as it was felt that the site would not be attractive to developers due to the noted site constraints, would not increase the supply of affordable housing in the borough and would therefore not meet the Council’s Southend 2050 ambitions.
3. Develop the land for Council housing – This option considered the Council developing the site itself for Council Housing. Given the constraints of the site and that it is not in proximity to any other suitable housing sites, the site would be unviable as it would not achieve economies
Note: This is an Executive Function
Eligible for call-in to: Policy and Resources Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Gilbert
Report author: Glyn Halksworth
Publication date: 26/02/2021
Date of decision: 23/02/2021
Decided at meeting: 23/02/2021 - Cabinet