Special Guardianship Order (SGO) Updated Policy
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet considered a report of the Executive Director (Children and Public Health) setting out changes and updates to the Special Guardianship Order (SGO) Policy, including changes to the financial support provided by the Council when a Special Guardianship Order (SGO) is made by the Family Court. The updated policy also sets out how the Council will respond to requests for financial support throughout the term of an SGO.
1. That the revised SGO Policy set out at Appendix 1 to the submitted report, be approved.
2. That the need to revise the Policy following the recommendation from the Local Government Ombudsman, be noted.
3. That the financial implications of the new policy for previous years and also for new cases going forward, be noted.
Reasons for decision:
1. To comply with a recommendation made by the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) following a finding from the LGO that the Council’s Special Guardianship allowance practice was not fully in line with legislation, statutory practice and case law.
2. The revised SGO Policy will ensure that special guardians receive the correct financial payment and following a review of all special guardians who did not receive the correct payments, for the 2-year transitional period, under the previous SGO policy, backdated payments are currently being arranged.
Note: This is an Executive Function
Eligible for call-in to: People Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Burton
Report author: John O'Loughlin
Publication date: 18/06/2021
Date of decision: 15/06/2021
Decided at meeting: 15/06/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 26/06/2021
This decision has been called in by:
- Councillor Tony Cox who writes for comsideration by People Scrutiny Committee"
- Councillor Meg Davidson who writes for comsideration by People Scrutiny Committee"