Council Tax Base and Non Domestic Rating Base 2020/21
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
The Cabinet considered a report of the Executive Director (Finance and Resources) concerning the calculation of the Council Tax Base for 2020/21 and the submission of the National Non Domestic Rates (NNDR1) form to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) by 31st January 2020.
In respect of the Council Tax Base
In accordance with the Local Authorities (Calculation of Council Tax Base) Regulations 1992 (as amended by the Local Authorities (Calculation of Council Tax Base) (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2003) and Local Government Finance Act 2012 (Calculation of billing authority’s council tax base Section 15):
1. From 1st April 2020 the premium for properties (empty for 5 years but less than 10 years) will be increased to 200%.
2. The amount calculated by Southend-on-Sea Borough Council as its Council Tax Base for the year 2020/21 shall be 58,680.94.
3. That the amount calculated by Southend-on-Sea Borough Council as the Council Tax Base in respect of Leigh-on-Sea Town Council for the year 2020/21 shall be 8,845.24.
4. That the new Care Leavers Council Tax Relief Policy set out at at Appendix A to the submitted report be endorsed and the subsequent impact on the Council Tax Base, be noted.
In respect of the Non-Domestic Rates Base (NNDR1 Form)
5. The NNDR1 form attached at Appendix D to the report be approved for submission to MHCLG.
Reason for Decision
The setting of the Council Tax Base and National Domestic Rating Base enables the calculation of the core funding derived through local taxation that is used to finance the Council’s proposed budget for 2020/21.
Note: This is an Executive Function
Referred direct to Policy and Resources Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Gilbert
Report author: Joe Chesterton
Publication date: 16/01/2020
Date of decision: 16/01/2020
Decided at meeting: 16/01/2020 - Cabinet