Notice of Motion - White Ribbon
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Item Called In
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
At the meeting of the Council held on 24th October 2019, Councillors received a Notice of Motion relating to White Ribbon in the Council. The motion was proposed by Councillor Cowan and seconded by Cllr Dent (this had been referred to Cabinet in accordance with Standing Order 8.4).
1. That the Council recognises the importance of White Ribbon and its contribution as part of a global campaign taking action to stop male violence against women and resolves to become an accredited authority.
2. That the Council commits to making White Ribbon Day (25th November) part of the civic calendar with ambassador-led activities involving staff, members and the public.
3. That the Council agrees to raise awareness of the White Ribbon Campaign through regular updates and features in internal and external communications.
4. That the Council will provide support to staff and members to take the pledge never to commit, excuse or remain silent about male violence against women and to become ambassadors and champions.
5. That the Council work closely with local agencies and organisations involved in tackling male violence against women to work towards making Southend a White Ribbon Borough.
Reason for Decision:
To respond to the motion.
The Cabinet could respond to the motion in a different way.
Note: This is an Executive function
Eligible for call-in to: Policy & Resources Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Terry
Publication date: 08/11/2019
Date of decision: 05/11/2019
Decided at meeting: 05/11/2019 - Cabinet
Issue status: The decision is currently being reconsidered
This decision has been called in by:
- Councillor Stephen Aylen who writes for consideration by Policy & Resources Scrutiny Committee"
- Councillor Keith Evans who writes for consideration by Policy & Resources Scrutiny Committee"