Notice of Motion - Fireworks
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Cabinet considered a report of the Executive Director (Neighbourhoods and Environment) responding to the Notice of Motion, submitted to Council on 17th December 2019, concerning the use of fireworks.
1. That the Notice of Motion submitted to Council on 17th December 2019, be noted.
2. That, where possible, that organisers of all public firework displays within the Borough be encouraged to advertise them in advance of the event, allowing residents to take precautions for their animals and vulnerable people.
3. That public awareness about the impact of fireworks on animal welfare and vulnerable people – including the precautions that can be taken to mitigate risks, be supported.
4. That officers be requested to write to the UK Government urging them to introduce legislation to limit the maximum noise level of fireworks to 90 decibels for those sold to the public for private displays.
5. That local suppliers of fireworks be encouraged to stock ‘quieter’ fireworks for public display.
Reasons for Decision
To respond to the Notice of Motion.
Note: This is an Executive Function
Referred direct to Place Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Mulroney
Publication date: 05/02/2020
Date of decision: 16/01/2020
Decided at meeting: 16/01/2020 - Cabinet