Notice of Motion - Tree Cover
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Cabinet considered a report of the Executive Director (Neighbourhoods and Environment) responding to the Notice of Motion, presented at the last meeting of Council, concerning tree cover in the Borough.
1, That the motion to double tree cover of the Borough, be noted.
2. That the management of the towns tree cover as an urban forest, be approved.
3. That it be acknowledged that tree canopy cover and an approach to planting will form part of the upcoming Tree and Woodland Policy.
4. That the benefit that a mosaic of habitats and variety of green infrastructure can have on the environment and the health and wellbeing of residents and visitors, be acknowledged.
5. That the future of tree planting and the canopy cover within the Borough will be based on an approach to be outlined in the upcoming Tree and Woodland Policy.
6. That the ongoing work to help educate and inform residents about tree management in the Borough, be acknowledged.
Reasons for Decision
To respond to the Notice of Motion
To double the tree canopy as outlined in the motion. This is not recommended as this approach is not based on a tree canopy assessment or other Borough specific study. A tree canopy cover of this level is likely to be unachievable and result in the loss of other important habitats and recreational opportunities.
Note: This is an Executive Function
Referred direct to Place Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Mulroney
Publication date: 05/02/2020
Date of decision: 16/01/2020
Decided at meeting: 16/01/2020 - Cabinet