Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet considered a joint report of the Chief Executive and Executive Director (Growth and Housing) setting out a programme of structural and improvement works required at the Balmoral Tower blocks (Grampian, Brecon and Blackdown) and to sought agreement to utilise HRA funds for these works.
1. That the programme of works to the Balmoral tower blocks, to include both structural and improvement works (structural insulation and heating upgrades), be progressed.
2. That the Council and South Essex Homes undertake full consultation and engagement with affected residents.
1. Do nothing – This would not be appropriate as it would not meet the needs of tenants and leaseholders and would not be in line with achieving our 2050 outcomes nor the aims of the Housing, Homelessness & Rough Sleeping Strategy; and
2. Only undertake structural works – This would not be appropriate as it would not meet the needs of our tenants and leaseholders and would not be in line with our 2050 Green City outcomes.
Reasons for Recommendations
1. To improve the structural integrity and energy efficiency of three of the Council’s tower blocks and also ensure that residents are fully engaged throughout this project.
2. In terms of the funding of this project, South Essex Homes have commissioned external professional Quantity Surveyors to produce the costs and associated budget requirements and the Council’s Finance team has confirmed the HRA Capital Reserves as the most appropriate method of funding these works.
Note: The decisions in 1 and 2 above constitute an Executive Function. The decision in 3 above constitutes a Council Function
Eligible for call-in to: Policy and Resources Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Gilbert
Report author: Glyn Halksworth
Publication date: 31/07/2020
Date of decision: 28/07/2020
Decided at meeting: 28/07/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 08/08/2020
This decision has been called in by:
- Councillor Tony Cox who writes for consideration by the Policy & Resources Scrutiny Committee"
- Councillor Meg Davidson who writes for consideration by the Policy & Resources Scrutiny Committee"