Southend Leisure Provision Future
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet considered a report of the Executive Director (Adults and Communities) requesting confirmation of the in-year arrangements for the operation of the Council’s leisure centres and set out the proposed steps in respect of the centres beyond April 2022.
1. That the ongoing waiver of Fusion’s management fee until 31 March 2022, be approved.
2. That the remaining three year’s management fee be repaid by Fusion over a reprofiled duration meeting the Council’s financial expectations from the contract.
3. That it be noted that the Council’s officers will continue to manage the existing contract performance of Fusion.
4. That Fusion’s current proposals regarding the extension of the contract beyond 2025 be rejected and market testing take place.
5. That it be noted that a further report will be provided during 2022/23 to consider the long-term future and options for leisure services.
Reasons for decision:
To address the immediate position with respect to the leisure contract.
The Council could consider alternative operators and Trusts. These are not recommended in the short term due to the additional financial risk to the Council of an early termination.
Note: This is an Executive Function
Eligible for call-in to: Place Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Mulroney
Report author: Scott Dolling
Publication date: 14/01/2022
Date of decision: 13/01/2022
Decided at meeting: 13/01/2022 - Cabinet
Effective from: 22/01/2022
This decision has been called in by:
- Councillor Tony Cox who writes for consideration by the Place Scrutiny Committee"
- Councillor Meg Davidson who writes for consideration by the Place Scrutiny Committee"