Draft Prioritising Resources to Deliver Better Outcomes - 2021/22 to 2025/26
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
The Cabinet considered a report of the Executive Director (Finance and Resources) presenting the draft General Fund Revenue Budget for 2021/22.
On consideration of the report The Cabinet endorsed an addition of Seafront Illuminations to the subject to viable business case section of the proposed Capital Investment Programme.
1. That it be noted that a Medium Term Financial Strategy for 2021/22 – 2025/26 will be available for consideration in February 2021 and the draft Medium Term Financial Forecast and estimated Earmarked Reserves Balances up to 2025/26 (Annexes 1 and 2 to Appendix 1 to the submitted report), be endorsed.
2. That the draft Section 151 Officer’s statement on the robustness of the proposed budget, the adequacy of the Council’s reserves and the Council’s Reserves Strategy (Appendix 2 to the report), be noted.
3. That the appropriation of the sums to earmarked reserves totalling £3.625M (Appendix 3 to the report), be endorsed.
4. That the appropriation of the sums from earmarked reserves totalling £6.218M, which includes £2.500M to cover the remaining estimated budget gap for 2021/22. (Appendix 3 to the report), be endorsed.
5. That a General Fund Budget Requirement for 2021/22 of £133.423M and Council Tax Requirement of £87.712M (Appendix 4a) and any required commencement of consultation, statutory or otherwise, be endorsed.
6. That it be noted that the 2021/22 revenue budget has been prepared on the basis of using £1.5 million from accumulated Collection Fund surpluses for the core budget to allow for a smoothing of the budget gap across the next four financial years.
7. That a Council Tax increase of 3.99% for the Southend-on-Sea element of the Council Tax for 2021/22, being 1.99% for general use and 2.0% for Adult Social Care (Paragraph 10.16), be endorsed.
8. That it be noted that the position of the Council’s preceptors is to be determined:
· Essex Police – no indication of Council Tax position
· Essex Fire & Rescue Services – no indication of Council Tax position
· Leigh-on-Sea Town Council – proposed precept increase of 3.02%;
9. That no Special Expenses be charged other than the Leigh-on-Sea Town Council precept for 2021/22, be endorsed.
10. That the proposed General Fund revenue budget investment of £8.122M (Appendix 5 to the report), be endorsed.
11. That the proposed General Fund revenue budget savings and income generation initiatives for 2021/22 of £4.155M (Appendix 6 to the report), be endorsed.
12. That the proposed future outline Budget Transformation Programme 2022/23 – 2025/26 (Appendix 7 to the report), be endorsed.
13. That the proposed range of fees and charges for 2021/22 (Appendix 8 to the report), be endorsed.
14. That the Dedicated Schools Grant budget and its relevant distribution as recommended by the Education Board (Appendix 9 to the report), be endorsed.
15. That the Capital Investment Strategy for 2021/22 to 2025/26 (Appendix 10 to the report) and the Capital Investment Policy (Annex 1 to Appendix 10 to the report), be endorsed.
16. That the new schemes and additions to the Capital Investment Programme for the period 2021/22 to 2025/26 totalling £21M for the General Fund and new schemes subject to viable business cases (Appendix 11 to the report), be endorsed.
17. That the proposed changes to the current Capital Investment Programme that were considered for approval as part of the Resourcing Better Outcomes – Financial Performance Report – Period 8 (Appendix 12 to the report), be noted.
18. That the proposed Capital Investment Programme for 2021/22 to 2025/26 of £168.6M for 2021/22 to 2025/26 (Appendix 13 to the report) of which £25.6M is supported by external funding, be endorsed.
19. That the Minimum Revenue Provision (MRP) Policy for 2021/22 (Appendix 14 to the report) and the prudential indicators (Appendix 15 to the report), be endorsed.
20. That the operational boundary and authorised limits for borrowing for 2021/22 are set at £375M and £385M respectively (Appendix 15 to the report), be endorsed.
Reason for Decision
To comply with statutory requirements and the relevant Local Authority codes of practice. Also, to ensure the budgets align to and enable the delivery of the Council’s ambition and desired outcomes or to enhance the Council’s infrastructure.
Billing authorities are required by law to complete and approve their budget and set a council tax before 11 March immediately prior to the start of the financial year on 1 April.
Note: This is an Executive Function save that approval of the final budget following Cabinet on 16th February 2020 is a Council Function
Referred direct to all three scrutiny committees
Cabinet Member: Cllr Gilbert
Report author: Joe Chesterton
Publication date: 15/01/2021
Date of decision: 14/01/2021
Decided at meeting: 14/01/2021 - Cabinet
- Report of Exec Director (Finance and Resources) PDF 774 KB
- 09 - Appendix 1 - MTFS 2021-22 to 2025-26 Cover PDF 319 KB
- 09 - Appendix 1 Annex 1 PDF 379 KB
- 09 - Appendix 1 Annex 2 PDF 470 KB
- 09 - Appendix 2 - S151 Statement 2021-22 - final PDF 160 KB
- 09 - Appendix 3 - Appropriations to and from GF Earmarked Reserves PDF 68 KB
- 09 - Appendix 4a - GF One Page Summary PDF 442 KB
- 09 - Appendix 4b - Portfolio Objective Summaries PDF 495 KB
- 09 - Appendix 4c - Portfolio Subjective Summaries PDF 468 KB
- 09 - Appendix 5 - Revenue Investment PDF 110 KB
- 09 - Appendix 6 - 2021-22 Savings PDF 59 KB
- 09 - Appendix 7 - Budget Transformation PDF 41 KB
- 09 - Appendix 8 - Proposed increases or new charges PDF 422 KB
- 09 - Appendix 9 - Dedicated Schools Grant 202122 Budget planning PDF 130 KB
- 09 - Appendix 10 - Capital Investment Strategy 2021-22 to 2025-26 - final PDF 274 KB
- 09 - Appendix 10 Annex 1 - Capital Investment Policy - final PDF 80 KB
- 09 - Appendix 11 - Proposed capital investment - 21-22 to 25-26 - final PDF 211 KB
- 09 - Appendix 12 - Other Requested Changes to Approved Capital Investment Programme - final PDF 89 KB
- 09 - Appendix 13 - Amended Capital Investment Programme 2021-22 to 2025-26 - final PDF 186 KB
- 09 - Appendix 14 - Minimum Revenue Provision Policy 2021 2022 - final PDF 59 KB
- 09 - Appendix 15 - Prudential Indicators 2021 22 - final PDF 166 KB
- 09 - Appendix 16 - Equality Analysis PDF 267 KB
- Appendix 3 - NNDR1 form 2021-22 Final PDF 187 KB