Agenda and minutes
Venue: Committee Room 1 - Civic Suite. View directions
Contact: Tim Row - Principal Committee Officer
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Buck (Substitute: Councillor Borton).
Declarations of Interest
No declarations of interest were made at the meeting.
Report of the Deputy Chief Executive (Place) attached.
The sub-committee received a report of the Deputy Chief Executive (Place) concerning an application for the grant of a premises licence in respect of Cosmos Café, 550 Rayleigh Road, Eastwood, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex SS9 5HX.
The application was presented by the Applicant’s representative, Mr Mehmet Aydeniz.
At the hearing the Applicant’s representative amended the application relating to the hours the premises would be open to the public to 12.00 noon to 23:00 daily.
The sub-committee noted that no letters of objection to this application had been received from any of the Responsible Authorities, however, measures had been agreed between Essex Police and the Applicant, as set out in Appendix 3 to the report of the Deputy Chief Executive (Place), should the application be granted.
7 representations had however, been received from local residents. Two of those residents attended and gave evidence at the hearing. The residents’ concerns mainly related to disturbance from noise and public nuisance, as the premises were located on the edge of a residential area.
The sub-committee felt that the conditions proposed, together with additional conditions, would be sufficient to address the objectors’ concerns. On the basis of the evidence presented to it, the sub-committee did not consider that the promotion of the licensing objectives would be undermined by the granting of this application. It was therefore:
That the application as amended be granted subject to:
(i) The Mandatory Conditions set out in Appendix 1 to the report of the Deputy Chief Executive (Place);
(ii) The conditions set out in Appendix 2 to the report of the Deputy Chief Executive (Place);
(iii) The conditions agreed between the Essex Police and the Applicant set out in Appendix 3 to the report of the Deputy Chief Executive (Place); and
(iv) The following additional conditions:
1. The supply of alcohol will be by waiter/waitress.
2. The Applicant shall ensure that all staff engaged in the sale of alcohol receive sufficient training. Refresher training shall take place at least six monthly. Written training records shall be kept on the premises and made available to any officer authorised under the Licensing Act 2003. Those holding an appropriate licensing qualification and/or a Personal Licence shall be exempt from this requirement.
3. The Applicant shall ensure that a written record is kept on the premises of all persons authorised by the Designated Premises Supervisor or a personal licence holder to sell or supply alcohol in their name. Such records shall be made available to the Police/Licensing Authority upon request.
4. No rubbish or bottles will be disposed of outside the building between 21.00 and 07:00 the following day.
5. There shall be no deliveries or refuse collections between 21:00 and 07:00 the following day.
6. There shall be no use of any external area by patrons (other than access or egress) between 22:00 and 12:00 noon the following day save that the decked area may be used as a smoking area for a maximum of 6 people.