Agenda and draft minutes
Venue: Committee Room 1 - Civic Suite. View directions
Contact: Tim Row - Principal Committee Officer
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councill Dear (no substitute).
Declarations of Interest
No interests were declared at the meeting.
That the Minutes of the Meeting held on Thursday, 25th March 2021 be received, confirmed as a correct record and signed.
The Sub-Committee received a report of the Executive Director (Neighbourhoods and Environment) concerning an application by Wizard Sleeves Bars (Essex) Limited for a renewal of a Sexual Entertainment Venue Licence in respect of Entice, 3 Warrior House, 42-82 Southchurch Road, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 2LZ.
The application was presented by Mr R Sutherland (the Applicant’s Solicitor). Mr K Moloo (Director and Manager of the premises) was also in attendance and gave evidence.
The Sub-Committee noted that one letter of objection had been received in respect of the application. The objector requested to remain anonymous and did not attend the hearing. The objectors’ principal concerns can be summarised as follows:
• alleged procedural irregularities in relation to the publication of the application;
• the suitability of Mr Moloo as the applicant;
• the location of the premises in a block combined with residential properties, health facilities and a pawn brokers, where there were likely to be vulnerable people; and
• the suitability of the premises as a SEV.
The Sub-Committee welcomed that a “House Mother” would be available for performers if necessary. It also noted that vaping may currently be permitted in the premises and that this would be dealt with as a separate matter under the Health Act 2006.
The Sub-Committee considered all the evidence and submissions that had been made at the meeting and the written reports and documentation that had been presented prior to the hearing. The Sub-Committee also had regard to Schedule 3 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 (adopted pursuant to the Police and Crime Act 2009) and the Council’s Policy for controlling sex establishments.
That the application be granted, subject to the existing operating conditions to the current licence set out in Appendix 1 to the report of the Interim Executive Director (Neighbourhoods and the Environment), subject amendment to condition 75 to now read as follows:
75. The Licensee shall ensure that a ‘grab bag’ containing suitable clothing for the use of dancers in the event of an emergency evacuation, is located at the exits to the premises. (Such clothing is defined in condition 65 above).
together with the following additional conditions:
• “The Customers’ Code of Conduct for Patrons shall be amended by the addition of, but not limited to, the following:
Whilst outside or leaving the premises, all customers, must not loiter unnecessarily and vacate the immediate vicinity in such a way as to cause minimum disturbance or nuisance to neighbours both residential and business and to make the minimum impact upon the neighbourhood in relation to potential nuisance, anti-social behaviour, crime and disorder.”
• Appropriate signage shall be displayed in prominent positions at the exits requesting patrons to “Please be respectful to neighbours. Please leave quietly.”