Agenda and minutes
Venue: Council Chamber - Civic Suite. View directions
Contact: Robert Harris - Principal Committee Officer
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Dent (substitute: Cllr Cowdrey), Jarvis (substitute: Cllr Buck) and Thompson (substitute: Cllr Wexham).
Declarations of Interest
There were no declarations of interest at this meeting.
Report of Chief Executive attached
The Committee considered a report of the Chief Executive presenting the Centre for Governance and Scrutiny (CfGS) report containing recommendations on the next steps for the review and update of the Council’s Constitution.
The Committee asked a number of questions which were responded to by officers.
1. That the contents of the submitted Centre for Governance and Scrutiny (CfGS) report, be noted.
2. That the redrafting of Council Procedure Rules, alongside the changes to the Scrutiny Procedure Rules (including pre-Cabinet Scrutiny) and a pilot scheme to be in place and trialled by February 2023, be endorsed.
3. That the General Purposes Committee act as a cross-party focus group for ongoing work.
4. That it be noted that the next step will be to agree a timetable and sequence for changes to the Constitution.
5. That an ongoing review of the Constitution as a whole be maintained in tandem with resolution 2 above and an update in this regard be brought before the next meeting of the General Purposes Committee.