Issue - decisions
Fire Safety Report
The Cabinet considered a report of the Deputy Chief Executive and Executive Director (Growth & Housing) setting out the progress in delivering the Council’s fire safety review and the Council’s response to the Government’s consultation ‘Sprinkler and other Fire Safety Measures in New High-Rise Blocks of Flats’.
1. That the work undertaken by the Council and South Essex Homes in respect to fire safety in high rise residential blocks including progressing the installation of a pilot ‘annunciation system’ in Longbow residential tower block and a pilot sprinkler system in Cecil Court residential tower block, be noted and endorsed.
2. That the work undertaken by the Council in respect to fire safety across its operational buildings including the completion of all fire stopping and compartmentation works at Chase Sports Centre, Southend Tennis and Leisure Centre and Belfairs Swim Centre, be noted and endorsed.
3. That it be noted that Type 4 Fire Risk Assessments will be undertaken at Quantock and Brecon residential tower blocks with investigation works to be programmed and undertaken in a Covid secure manner and in consultation with residents of the blocks.
4. That it be noted that the Council will be responding to the Home Office’s ‘Fire Safety’ Consultation Document by the consultation deadline of 12 October 2020.
5. That a further update be provided to Cabinet in spring 2021.
Reason for decisions:
The Council has undertaken a fundamental review of its fire safety policies and procedures, reviewed its property stock, and put in place appropriate resources (financial and other) to ensure that it maintains its buildings in a safe condition whilst upgrading them where this is appropriate and practicable.
1. To maintain all operational properties in their current condition with fire improvement works and, where practicable, to bring them up to the requirements of the latest Building Regulations when they next undergo major alterations and/or extension.
2. The Council could maintain the current arrangements whereby individual building managers are identified as responsible for the buildings within which they operate.
3. The Council could commit to the immediate adoption of all recommendations set out within the Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety.
Note: This is an Executive Function.
Eligible for call-in to: Place Scrutiny Committee
Executive Members: Councillors Gilbert and Terry