Issue - decisions
Equality Objectives - 2022-2026
The Cabinet considered a report of the Executive Director (Transformation) presenting a new statement-led set of Equality Objectives based on the findings from the recent consultation exercise.
1. That the new Equality Objectives be sharper, smarter and conducive to demonstrate progress in equalities policies and practice across the Council.
2. That the new Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Statement and Equality Objectives that have been formed and shaped by responses to a Your Say Southend Survey and meetings with multiple community organisations to gain their views, recognising that the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic has brought inequalities across communities into sharp relief, be approved.
3. That, in addition to the required 4-yearly refresh, the Equality Objectives be reviewed on an annual basis by the Corporate Equality Steering Group (CESG) as per its Terms of Reference, as set out at Appendix 1 to the submitted report, in order to keep the objectives at the forefront of Council equalities policy making and practices, thereby evidencing the Council’s fulfilment of the Public Sector Equality Duty.
4. That commitments be set against each objective to demonstrate progress made on an annual basis, with the Commitments to be reviewed/reset by CESG at their annual review.
5. That the Equality Objectives be referenced in the Corporate Plan with the intention that the Council will report on its performance against the new Equality Objectives.
6. That it be noted that this process is seen as foundational and iterative demonstrating the scale of the Council’s ambition across the 4-year period, prior to the renewal of the objectives in 2026.
Reasons for decision:
To comply with the Public Sector Equality Duty as set out in the Equality Act 2010 which requires public sector organisations to abide by a set of Equality Objectives that are to be renewed every 4 years.
Note: This is an Executive Function
Eligible for call-in to: Policy and Resources Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Gilbert