Housing and Regeneration Pipeline, Including Acquisitions Programme - Update
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet considered a report of the Executive Director (Finance and Resources) and Deputy Chief Executive (People) providing an update on the work underway looking at the pipeline of housing and development opportunities across the Borough and presenting recommendations setting out the proposed way forward.
1. That the progress on the Acquisitions Programme for Council Housing as set out in Section 3.4 of the submitted report, be noted.
2. That the progress of initial works with PSP Southend LLP in Section 3.17 of the submitted report and of the first phase of housing and development pipeline sites currently in delivery as set out in Section 3.11 of the submitted report, be noted.
3. That the expansion of the MMC Pilot Project to include Archer Avenue as set out in Section 3.12 and the allocation of £450,000 from the Land Assembly Fund to fund the project, be approved.
(These are funds which the Council currently receives from developers in lieu of providing affordable housing directly and which are available for the Council to use in order to develop affordable housing)
Reason for Decision:
1. To update Cabinet on the progress of the HRA infill sites, Acquisition programme and PSP Southend LLP developments.
2. To update Cabinet on the next stages of feasibility work on the pipeline of sites.
3. To seek agreement to expand the MMC pilot project to include a further garage site at Archer Avenue.
1. Alternative arrangements for the Right to Buy spend such as grants to Registered Providers were considered for the Acquisitions Programme however this would not have resulted in the long term benefit to the Council in the way of HRA property.
2. Alternative uses were considered for the site in Archer Avenue earmarked for the expansion of the MMC Pilot Project such as selling on the open market however this option would have resulted in a potential loss of affordable housing and revenue income to the Council.
Note: This is an Executive function.
Eligible for call in to: Policy and Resources Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllrs Gilbert and Woodley
Report author: Glyn Halksworth
Publication date: 08/11/2019
Date of decision: 05/11/2019
Decided at meeting: 05/11/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 16/11/2019