Notice of Motion - Dog Poo DNA
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
At the meeting of the Council held on 24th October 2019, Councillors received a Notice of Motion relating to Dog Waste DNA. The motion was proposed by Councillors Bright and Cox and supported by 16 other Conservative Councillors (this had been referred to Cabinet in accordance with Standing Order 8.4).
1. That the Notice of Motion is rejected based on the evidence that there is a relatively low number of irresponsible dog owners, DNA testing would be cost prohibitive and have a low take up based on the experiences from LBBD and Thanet District Council and would place an undue obligation on responsible dog owners.
2. That the existing powers with additional targeting of hot-spot areas through enforcement, education and communications activity to address the issues with dog fouling continue to be utilised.
Reason for Decision:
To respond to the Notice of Motion
The Cabinet could respond to the motion in a different way.
Note: This is an Executive function
Eligible for call-in to: Place Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Mulroney
Publication date: 08/11/2019
Date of decision: 05/11/2019
Decided at meeting: 05/11/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 16/11/2019
This decision has been called in by:
- Councillor Stephen Aylen who writes for consideration by Place Scrutiny Committee"
- Councillor Keith Evans who writes for consideration by Place Scrutiny Committee"
- Councillor Tony Cox who writes for consideration by Place Scrutiny Committee"
- Councillor Meg Davidson who writes for consideration by Place Scrutiny Committee"