Southend Crematorium Refurbishment
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet considered a report of the Deputy Chief Executive and Executive Director (Growth and Housing) highlighting the limited remaining operational lifespan of the cremators and associated equipment at Sutton Road Crematorium and the potential use of electric cremators along with the funding requirements for the refurbishment of the facility.
1. That the provision of crematorium facilities within Southend-on-Sea, be continued.
2. That the problems with the existing facilities as set out in Appendix 1 to the submitted report, be noted.
3. That it be noted that without the replacement of the cremators and works to the building the provision of a crematorium service in the short to medium term will not be possible.
4. That the potential environmental benefits that the installation of electric cremators could bring and the additional capital expenditure that this would require (exact level of investment to be determined), be noted.
5. That the option of electric cremators and other options that would have environmental benefits be considered during the project development.
6. That the predicted cost to fund the replacement of the cremators, associated plant and building refurbishments as outlined in paragraph 6.3 of the submitted report, be noted.
7. That authority be delegated to the Executive Director of Neighbourhoods and Environment to carry out the refurbishment and replacement of the cremators.
Reasons for Decision
A comprehensive refurbishment of the crematorium facilities will ensure that Southend can continue to provide a high quality of service to people at a time that many find emotional and distressing.
1. Decommission the crematorium and stop providing cremation services to residents and others.
2. Build a new crematorium and public facing facilities on the crematorium car park.
Note: This is an Executive Function
Eligible for call-in to: Place Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Mulroney
Report author: Scott Dolling
Publication date: 28/02/2020
Date of decision: 25/02/2020
Decided at meeting: 25/02/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 07/03/2020