Civil Penalties Policy for Housing Offences
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet considered a report of the Executive Director (Neighbourhoods and Environment) setting out the draft policy for the use of civil penalties for certain specified offences under the Housing Act 2004.
That the Civil Penalties Policy for Housing Offences, set out at Appendix 1 to the submitted report, with the implementation date of 1st April 2022, be approved.
Reasons for decision:
The adoption of a Civil Penalties policy provides a transparent and consistent approach to the regulation of the private sector housing market.
The alternative option would be to disregard the powers made available to the Council. This would reduce the tools available to Officers to enforce against rogue landlords who knowingly rent out unsafe and substandard accommodation and may harm the reputation of the Council in regulation of the private rented sector.
Note: This is an Executive Function
Eligible for call-in to: Policy and Resources Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Cllr Gilbert
Report author: Elizabeth Georgeou
Publication date: 14/03/2022
Date of decision: 22/02/2022
Decided at meeting: 22/02/2022 - Cabinet
Effective from: 05/03/2022
- Report of Exec Director (Neighbourhoods and Envt) PDF 125 KB
- Appendix 1 Civil Penalties Policy for Housing Offences Final PDF 154 KB
- Appendix 1 Annex 1 Civil Penalties for Housing Offences Policy Matrix Final PDF 109 KB
- Appendix 2 Anenx 1 Civil Penalties Consultation Analysis PDF 113 KB
- Appendix 2 Civil Penalties Policy for Housing Offences Process flow chart Final PDF 115 KB