Notice of Motion - Climate Emergency Declaration
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet received a report of the Deputy Chief Executive (Place) which had been prepared in response to the above Notice of Motion presented to Council on 18th July 2019 by Councillor Mulroney.
1. That in taking forward the Motion, the current position in respect to the Council’s own CO2 emissions which have already been reduced by 75%, be noted. Subject to completion of the current capital programme and that proposed in the 2050 outcomes, the Council is expected to achieve net-zero by 2024/5.
2. That in taking forward the Motion, the implications of the proposed Declaration of Climate Emergency and its potential impact on all areas of the Council, be noted.
3. That in taking forward the Motion, the Council’s leadership opportunity be noted, but that achieving net-zero for the Borough by 2030 will require coordinated actions across all parts of the Borough and will be an enormous undertaking which may take resources from other priorities.
4. That Cabinet lobby Government (via LGA) with other Local Authorities to ensure that funds are made available to increase the work towards achieving carbon neutral status.
Reasons for Decisions
Major reductions in emissions are required across the world to mitigate against climate change and hold global warming to less than 2 degrees, preferably 1.5 degrees.
Note: This is an Executive Function
Eligible to call in to Place Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Member: Councillor Mulroney
Report author: Carl Robinson
Publication date: 20/09/2019
Date of decision: 17/09/2019
Decided at meeting: 17/09/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 28/10/2019
This decision has been called in by:
- Councillor Tony Cox who writes for consideration by Place Scrutiny Committee"
- Councillor Meg Davidson who writes for consideration by Place Scrutiny Committee"